With so many types of educational experiences available for young children, it can be difficult to know what works and what doesn’t. What you see on social media isn’t necessary an accurate picture of the real educational experience, either. If you are interested in the Montessori Method, knowing how effective the approach is for preschoolers is essential in making that decision.
What is Montessori?
Before determining its effectiveness, it’s good to have an understanding of what exactly the Montessori Method is and what it isn’t. On social media, you can find many examples of Montessori-ish activities. Many people believe Montessori is just about practical life activities or giving children lots of freedom. In reality, however, the Montessori method entails a great deal of intentionality and structure.
The philosophy behind the Montessori Method is that children are growing, independent, curious learners with a great deal of potential. An adult guiding a child in the Montessori Method provides the child with all the tools necessary to succeed. The Montessori lessons build upon one another so children master basic skills before adding more advanced ones to the mix. A Montessori guide provides methodical instruction to each lesson and encourages the child to practice it many times. Through this careful process, children can learn most effectively.
Long-Term Benefits of the Montessori Method
Not only does the Montessori Method provide the child with immediate tools for success, but it sets them up to have a love of learning for the rest of their lives. Some of the long-term benefits of Montessori include:
- the ability to make good decisions to take ownership of their own education
- increased self-confidence
- organizational skills
- social and emotional skills learned through grace and courtesy lessons
- individualized instruction that ensures each child learns all the necessary skills to master a concept before moving to the next one
- exposure to many different topics of study such as geography, science, cultures, music and movement to cultivate a love of learning and curiosity
- developed fine and gross motor skills formed through a variety of lessons in the classroom
- increased focus built over time through repetition of advanced lessons
- critical thinking skills
- a holistic approach to education including everything from academics to emotional well-being and peace education
More than the small snippets of Montessori life that the internet provides, a Montessori school can provide a full picture of how effective a Montessori education can be for preschoolers. A peek into the day to day activities of a Montessori classroom will reveal how students can fully engage in learning through developmentally appropriate lessons and activities. Unlike traditional schools that teach the group rather than the individual, a Montessori school unlocks the potential in each child to ensure their success.
To learn more about how effective the Montessori Method is for preschoolers, contact our staff at Fountainhead Montessori. Serving the Bay area, our teachers provide each student with the skills they need to lay a solid foundation for long-term success in academics and beyond. Contact us today to learn more about all that a Montessori experience can offer your family.